Updated May 25, 2018
What are cookies and similar storage technologies?
A cookie is a small bit of text (usually numbers and letters) that is placed in a file in your web browser on your computer, phone or other device. For the purpose of this Policy, we refer to technologies (such as LocalStorage or SessionStorage) that are similar in purpose to “cookies.” There are many uses for cookies, including for analytics purposes, to recognise who you are when you use the Services to remember what your preference settings, to ensure security, and to give you a secret credential that lets you see data that’s just for you in the Services.
In the case of first-party cookies, it’s generally not possible with your browser’s default settings for another website to see cookies set by another website. However, there are third-party cookies that allow two different websites to make requests to the same third-party web domain so that the third-party can store a cookie on the one website and access it on the other.
Cookies are deleted either when you close your browser or when they reach their expiration date. LocalStorage is removed when either you or the website that stored the data deletes it. SessionStorage is deleted every time you close your browser.
- Features and services: These are cookies that help us deliver the Services through the Platform. For example, some cookies tell us if you have seen specific items so we don’t show them to you again or remember where you last visited so we can take you back on your next visit;
- Authentication: These cookies let us know when you’re logged in so you can get into the Platform as quickly as possible. For example, cookies can tell us if you’re logged in so we don’t ask you to login every time you visit the Platform;
- Performance and Monitoring: These cookies help us evaluate the performance of the Platform and identify any issues that may arise. For example, a cookie sends information on the performance of the code that runs a feature on the Platform to a third-party that helps us analyse if it’s working correctly;
- Content: Cookies in this category tell us which content you might want to see. For example, storing your location in a cookie would allow us to show you events that are located close to you and which are of greatest interest;
- Analytics: Analytics cookies help us understand how the Platform is used so we can make better decisions to improve it. For example, cookies help us understand the number and frequency of visits to a section of the Platform so we understand what people like and don’t like;
- Advertising: We do not currently use advertising cookies as we do not offer the placement of this type of content on the Platform.
How can I find out more about managing cookies in my browser?
We have listed below resources from common browser makers. Please look in your browser maker’s documentation if the one you use isn’t in the list. Please be aware that some parts of the Services may not work if you choose to disable or delete cookies: