The GATE is a NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) initiative to fast‑track the development of ag‑tech to increase productivity. Hosted at the DPI Orange Agricultural Institute the facility wilThe GATE is a NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) initiative to fast‑track the development of ag‑tech to increase productivity. Hosted at the DPI Orange Agricultural Institute the facility will provide access to DPI – the largest agricultural R&D provider in Australia, including the expertise of over 600 scientific and technical staff;
The GATE offers access to the long term data sets held by DPI and facilitates on‑farm validation of new technologies across 25 research stations and 13,000 ha of trial farms
The GATE will be accessible to any individual, company and research organisation wishing to explore the viability of an agri‑tech idea.
Every year the GATE will host up to 20 GATE projects plus additional individuals for lean start up and mentoring.
The GATE offers five key services:
• Lean Start up and Mentoring services to expand capabilities of innovators;
• Incubator services and support to assist proof of concept stages;
• Accelerator services and support for prototype scale up and production reliability;
• Commercialisation and business support including advising on business structures and planning, Intellectual Property management, market appetite testing and commercialisation paths;
• Investor Showcases. The GATE will enable investment via partner and affiliate networks and host Investor Showcases for GATE projects
Activities undertaken at the GATE will span the life cycle of development ‑ including incubator and accelerator functions and beyond to link with venture capital and investment funds for commercialisation.
The GATE was launched in September 2017 and will call for applications in November 2017 for the first cohort entering in March 2018.
The GATE will focus on supporting distinct Projects (Project teams or organisations) but may also support Innovators (individuals) without a specific project and will provide lean start up and mentoring services.
Project applications will be assessed by the GATE Innovation Panel who endorse
candidates to the GATE Governing Board for approval to enter the GATE.
Project teams and innovators outside Australia must seek appropriate business, employment or study visas.